How To Create Baby Quilt Design
Quilting Designs on a Baby Quilt
Congratulations! You finished your baby quilt top. The fabric and colors are superb and match perfectly with the baby’s new room. Now it is time to do the hand quilting. But the dilemma is in choosing the perfect design. After the hours and time spent on the baby quilt top, the design of the hand quilting must be just right. But where to start?
The quilting design should follow the style and pattern of the new quilt top:
1. Place your baby quilt top on the design wall and study or analyze it for the elements of design.
2. Decide the amount of usage the baby quilt will receive and how often it will be cleaned or laundered. If the project will be a wall hanging, more intricate patterns could be considered as opposed to a child’s personal blanket that will be well-loved.
3. Considered your time. The more intricate the pattern, the more time will be needed to complete your baby quilt and the more visually exciting the designs will become. If time is a factor, cross-hatch grids, quilting in the ditch, or outlining stitch are effective for holding the layers together.
4. The type of fabric in your baby quilt top will also determine the type of quilting design you should choose. Large or busy prints require a simpler design on the baby quilt top. On the solid colors or tone-on-tones, a decorative featured wreath or floral motif is perfect to show off that baby quilt.
5. The quilter’s expertise in hand quilting of a baby quilt must be considered. Stick to the simple patterns of outline quilting, straight lines or grids.
6. As a hand quilter, stencil and patterns will allow you to bring a design onto your baby quilt. These can be purchased commercially or traced from any pattern around the house. Freezer paper also makers wonderful templates. Cut out and press the freezer paper on to your fabric. Trace and stitch around the shape. Peel off and reuse.
Every inch of your baby quilt does not have to be stitched. Strive to keep a balance in the quilting throughout your baby quilt.
Enjoy creating the design on yourbaby quilt top.
By: Sharon Camp – Unique Baby Quilt Boutique